This is one of our family favorites at Thanksgiving. We inherited this recipe from Joel's family and then modified the method to create something that is pretty amazing.
I'll share the original recipe and then our modifications afterward.
- Add 1 cup of boiling water to 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries that have been washed and picked over (bad ones tossed). Cook until mushy and put through a food mill.
- Cook together until sugar is dissolved 4 cups of water and 3 cups of sugar
- Add syrup mixture to cranberries and grated rind and juice of a large lemon
- Freeze until mushy in a shallow pans, such as cake pans or non-divided ice cube trays
- Beat mixture with an electric mixer and refreeze.
- Serve in stemmed glasses for prettiest effect.
As you can see, it's a pretty straightforward recipe. Here's what we do different, instead of putting the mixture in the freezer, we let it sit in the fridge overnight and then the next day, we run it through our ice cream machine. It makes the most amazing, soft, frozen cranberry dish. A definite crowd pleaser and a nice alternative to the canned shaped cranberries that normally show up. Let me know if you give it a try!